Worldwide | April 5, 2023
Report as Closed
Company: Rewiring America
Salary: $85,000 - $136,000
About Rewiring America
Rewiring America is the leading electrification nonprofit, focused on electrifying everything in our communities. We're all in on electrifying where we live, work, learn, and play. Supported by a world-class research team developing accessible, actionable data, and tools for Americans across the country, Rewiring America is crafting the blueprint for Americans to achieve energy efficiency, tackle nationwide emission goals, improve health, save consumers money, and build the next generation of the American workforce in clean energy.
About the job
Rewiring America is growing rapidly. With a clear and inspiring vision, smart strategies, and significant and sustained financial support, we are building a diverse and dynamic engineering team.
We are seeking product-minded Software Engineers to support the entire organization's efforts to build a movement and communicate the myriad benefits of economy-wide electrification. In 2023 the Engineering team will create tools (like our IRA calculator) to help consumers electrify their homes, track our progress to electrify one billion machines, and provide APIs to support the electrification ecosystem. This position reports to the Head of Engineering.
What you’ll do
You will be a founding member of a small engineering team that works closely with Product, Design, Research, and Policy teams to build scalable web applications, APIs, data visualizations, and marketing websites. As part of a young, scrappy, mission-driven organization you’ll be prepared to context switch between developing a complicated web application, revamping our website for new audiences, or responding to developer inquiries from our API partners.
- Collaborate and consult with Product, Design, Policy, Research, and Data Science teams from the earliest stage of project explorations.
- Create high quality and robust web applications, data models, APIs, and / or user interfaces.
- Participate in design discussions and code reviews with your teammates and collaborators.
- Build seamless and resilient integrations with external API services (e.g. Auth0, Mailchimp, Geocodio).
- Write code that is appropriately modular, maintainable, and secure.
- Proactively identify opportunities to enhance developer productivity and enjoy writing and maintaining technical documentation.
- Proactively mitigate issues through test-driven development, continuous deployment, and thoughtful monitoring and alerting.
Who you are
You love designing and implementing scalable web services, applications, and APIs. You take satisfaction from seeing your work out in the world solving real problems for your customers. You may have a particular strength, specialism, or preferred area of work (e.g. backend, frontend, data) or preferred set of tooling. However, as an experienced engineer, you know what it takes to put a whole project together end-to-end and you’re comfortable learning any new tools that the team decides are necessary.
- Commitment to the mission, policies, and goals of Rewiring America.
- 3+ years of software engineering experience.
- Experience writing and operating production web services using Python/Django, Node/Express, Ruby/Rails, Java/Spring, or equivalent backend frameworks.
- Experience modeling and querying complex real-world domains with relational datastores, SQL, or equivalent database technologies.
- Ability to establish scope of assigned tasks, execute on them, and independently communicate status updates.
- You enjoy collaborative code reviews and can provide thoughtful, constructive feedback to peers.
- Experience implementing modular and accessible UI components to support a design system.
- Experience building, operating, documenting, and supporting developer-facing APIs.
- Experience with machine learning (e.g. PyTorch, TensorFlow) and / or big data infrastructure (e.g. Databricks, Snowflake, Redshift, Kafka).
- Production experience with cloud technologies such as Google Cloud Platform, Firebase, BigQuery, Pub/Sub, and Cloud Functions (or their AWS/Azure equivalents).
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines (e.g. Github Actions, Google Cloud Run) or infrastructure as code (e.g. Terraform).
Candidates who meet some but not all of the above criteria are still strongly encouraged to apply. Our technical stack, projects, priorities, and focus are all still evolving. Your skills and experience may present us with new opportunities we have not yet considered.
Commitment to Racial Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Rewiring America values diversity in all its forms and is committed to inclusive and transparent recruitment, hiring and promotion processes. Candidates of diverse backgrounds and lived experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
Rewiring America is a project of Windward Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. Windward Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Windward Fund ‘s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $130,000-$160,000 commensurate with experience.Comprehensive benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance for employees (and their families). Employees are able to enroll in 401k retirement plan and are eligible for a 3% automatic contribution and up to a 3% employer match on 401k contributions. Employees are also eligible for pre-tax transportation benefits. Employees will receive 160 hours of vacation time, 80 hours of health leave, up to 2 days of casual leave, and 20 hours of volunteer leave annually. Employees will also receive 13 paid holidays throughout the calendar year (15 days during Presidential and Congressional elections). We have an office closure between Christmas and New Year. Employees are eligible for 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave after 90 days of employment. Regular, full-time employees and part-time employees are eligible to take up to sixteen weeks of parental leave, in all cases related to birth, adoption, or foster care starting from the first day of employment. We offer access to professional development resources.
To apply or nominate a candidate, please submit an application and resume via the Rewiring America page at Workable.This position is open until filled, and we are moving quickly to fill this position -- apply as soon as possible. Candidate review and phone screens begin immediately and will be conducted throughout the search period.
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, Windward Fund requires that any employee who is required to conduct in-person activities for their job must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 within four weeks of their start date. Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law by contacting human resources at email@example.com.