Worldwide | May 10, 2023
Report as Closed
Company: Wolfe LLC
Salary: $90,000 - $140,000
Wolfe is growing, and we need a passionate Senior Software Engineer to help us scale. With twenty developers spanning five distinct teams, we need to level up our enterprise-readiness by ensuring our code is robust, secure, performant, and maintainable. We're looking for a back-end engineer with experience working with complex communications across multiple systems, database construction, high throughput message buses, and interactivity with third-party APIs (Application Programming Interface).
Please note: Candidate MUST be located in the U.S. for consideration
Please note: This is NOT a contract position.
Wolfe, LLC, is an e-commerce company, located in Pittsburgh, PA, focused on next-generation gifting business models.
We are well known for being the company that started the first coupon website in 1995 which sold to a public company in 2000, at the peak of the dot-com era, when we were delivering 20 million page views per month. We then built Direct Response Technologies; grew it to 70 employees; and sold it to Digital River in 2006. We spun off Jambo Media with our tech team and sold it to Undertone in 2012.
We built and focused on GiftCards.com from 2006 to 2016 and sold it to Blackhawk Network. We had over 100 employees whom have shared in our profits.
Today, Wolfe Companies include several brands that are revolutionizing gifting, such as Gift Card Granny, PerfectGift, GiftYa, Give InKind, and Reaf Marketing. We have roughly 160 employees and contractors. We are experiencing triple digit growth year over year. We prioritize a positive work environment and culture, which helps us maintain a high-performing and cohesive team. To ensure the effectiveness of our initiatives, we use tools like OfficeVibe and Bonusly, organize team parties and off-sites, and have clubs that support a diverse, remote-first culture.
Company and Executive Team Recognitions:
- 2022 Smart 50 Award
- 2022 First place - Fast 50 Growing Companies Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Business Times
- 2020 Best Places to Work by the Pittsburgh Business Times
- 2019 Carnegie Science Award Recipient, Entrepreneur Category
- 2017 Outstanding Entrepreneur Award Winner by the Pittsburgh Venture Capital Association
- 2015 Business Times Diamond Award Winner
- 2015 Business Ethics Award Winner
Back-end Developers at Wolfe, LLC are the prime implementers of the product vision. We have three business units with unique use-cases, including Card Linked Gifting, an in-house Gift Card Printing Facility, and high traffic e-commerce applications. Maintaining performant systems is crucial for our success. Back-end developers are embedded in one of our 5 cross-functional product teams. They work alongside a product owner, designers, other back-end and front-end developers, QA, and DevOps. The product team focuses on delivering on a conceptual slice of our business. Our environment is fast paced. We use an Agile Kanban SDLC that promotes bottleneck reduction and adjustments based on observed metrics.
You love looking under the hood. You live in a world of entity design and business logic implementation. You think in systems. You appreciate the importance of design patterns.
You are motivated and driven. You treat software development like a craft that needs to be honed.
You have experience working with complex systems with many moving parts. You like representing business logic formally (like with state machines). You've built and operated systems that talk to third parties. You can write code that's resilient against third-party failures.
You have an eye towards operations. Code is read and executed astronomically more times than it's written, so you're mindful of how your code can be observed in production, how it recovers from errors, how easily it can be understood by others.
You believe in an SDLC that promotes quick iterations, transparency, and automation.
You appreciate data, whether it's the throughput of your team or the performance of your application, you know your numbers and, more importantly, the bottlenecks that the numbers reveal. This is true for process and for production metrics.
- Develop and own application code throughout the entire SDLC.
- Be an expert in building software systems using a framework in an MVC architecture.
- Review team members code. Identify potential mistakes, security concerns, and steer towards best practices,
- Design implementation plans and perform operational assessments on the code your team produces.
- Build functionality that includes logs and metrics to power operational insight
- Adhere to prescribed Kanban methodology, enhance the process for your teams' specific needs. Maintain standards.
- Promote healthy operations by writing tests alongside your code.
Our Development Team
The Wolfe Development and QA Team agrees to these principles:
Production Insight - We don't just write software, we run software. We ensure our applications and systems are working and maintain insight into how they're performing and how they're being used.
Developer Accountability - “Done” means live, out to the world, in front of the people that are going to use it. We need people to own their work from implementation planning, through release, to on-going production awareness.
Tight Development Loop - It's cheaper to solve problems and answer questions closer to where they arise, so we have a great interest in quick reviews, quick releases, and quick adjustments.
- PHP, Symfony
- MySQL, Redis, Rabbit
- Twig, React, ReactNative
- AWS ECS, EC2, RDS, EKS
- Bitbucket Pipelines
- 5+ years in web-based software development- This developer should have a strong focus on data modeling, API construction, and high volume back-end systems.
- At least 5 years of experience implementing Service Oriented Architectures (MVC or Microservices) using frameworks such as Spring Boot, .Net/.Net Core, Symfony, Django, etc.
- Experience working in an agile development environment
- Experience with version control systems, like git
- Oversight of long running systems; demonstration of technical ownership of systems preferred.
- Experience deploying an application in a SaaS model preferred.
- Working experience with automated testing and CI preferred.
- Working Experience with a DevOps mindset, specifically containerization, application monitoring, performance evaluation preferred.
- Working Experience with asynchronous processing in parallel preferred.
Compensation & Benefits
Wolfe is committed to providing its employees with a benefits package designed to give them the flexibility they need to ensure a healthy life/work balance. Wolfe offers its employees great benefits and perks, including, but not limited to:
- Medical, Prescription, Vision, Dental, and 401k
- 15 Days of PTO to start
- 11 Paid Holiday's
- Restricted Stock Units (RSU's) (This is an ownership and profit-sharing program. Our employees have earned over $18m through this program since 2000)
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee recognition program
- Charitable Donation to a Charity of YOUR Choice yearly
- Refer Friends, and if we hire them, you get awarded
- Family Picnic, Holiday Party, and other employee outings
Top 75% pay range versus other local employers
Brown bag sessions to keep you informed on the company/industry
Wolfe is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Wolfe does not sponsor individuals for the purpose of obtaining H-1 Visas