Worldwide | Sept. 6, 2023
Report as Closed
Salary: $87,000 - $93,000
In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example- she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc).
TrustedHousesitters is a global pet care travel exchange; a double sided digital marketplace of owners and sitters that’s growing rapidly through our unique combination of product, proposition, marketing and community building.
We've just recently been named as one of the Escape the City's top organisations to work for 2023!
Our small but mighty team has a collaborative and supportive culture. We’re passionate about pets, people and travel; continuously searching for the win, win, win that makes everyone’s lives easier, travel kinder on the pet and enables a more sustainable travel footprint.
We're fully in scale-up mode and have grown to be the only global platform of its kind. In the last few years, we’ve consistently achieved high year-on-year growth. Thanks to strong tailwinds in the pet and travel industry in the post-Covid world, 2022 has been our strongest year so far. At our marketplace we facilitate the perfect match between pet owners who want to leave their pets in safe hands and pet sitters looking to enjoy the companionship of pets whilst they travel.
We've recently made the transition to a remote-first business, however we've retained a HQ in central Brighton which is available for collaborative working and in-person meet-ups.
We're seeking a hands on Engineering Manager to join our growing team of passionate engineers and manage one of our cross-functional squads. As a passionate believer in servant leadership, you will be responsible for unblocking, supporting and communicating the progress of your squad's goals to the wider organisation. You will encourage autonomy but will know when to seek counsel on key decisions from other members of the Engineering Org leadership.
You will initially also be an individual contributor within the squad and be comfortable delivering at a senior level using Python and Django. As an Engineering Manager, you will make decisions about technical feasibility, provide high-level estimates and understand the cross-platform implications of new product features. You will know when you're out of your depth (technically) and be comfortable seeking support from others. As you progress with us and take on more management, we would expect the level of IC work to decrease.
We have engineers working across a range of technologies: Python (Django/Django Rest Framework and FastAPI), React, React Native, Redux, Redux Sagas, styled-components, webpack, Elasticsearch, MySQL, Docker, AWS (Fargate), and more!
Leading engineers and QAs, you will create an inclusive environment in your squad, seek out feedback and adapt ways of working to enable your people to do their best work.
You will set meaningful and squad-relevant development goals and milestones for your reports and can lead conversations around what your engineers need to demonstrate to progress.
Working in collaboration with Engineering Guild Leads and the People Experience team, you will ensure your squad is correctly staffed to accomplish their goals and be responsible for executing the hiring process.
You will champion agile principles, coaching the squad on their approach to delivery, using DORA (or other) metrics to constantly improve.
For more information on the job requirements, you can view the Engineering Manager role within our progression framework here:
- Experience leading teams, though this may be the first role where you take on formal line management
- A desire to grow with us, and take on more management responsibility as we scale
- Understanding and enthusiasm for agile working
- You've previously held a senior-level role as an engineer working in Python Django.
- You must live in the UK and have the right to work here
- Comfortable being hands-on
Salary for this role is up to £75k DOE and you must have the right to work in the UK without sponsorship as we cannot provide sponsorship at this time.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus, we offer a range of benefits, including:
- Fully remote work
- Discretionary 10% annual bonus scheme
- 25 days holiday annually plus bank holidays and Christmas to New Year closure
- Pension scheme: 5% from you as an employee and 3% from TrustedHousesitters
- Premium TrustedHousesitters pet owner and sitter membership which includes benefits like airport lounge passes, sit cancellation insurance, and home and contents insurance for sits for you and 5 premium memberships for your friends and family each year
- Our team have an unlimited housesitting allowance, can work remotely from their sits, and TrustedHousesitters will contribute up to £500 per year towards travel costs
- £200 annually towards home office equipment
- Monthly working from home stipend
- Mac book
- Find a rescue pet to join your family and we’ll cover the adoption fees, as well as paternity to help any pet settle into their new home.
- We host a quarterly all expenses paid meet-up, and will fund team events (remote or in person) throughout the year
- We can cover costs of personal development resources, and have regular time set aside for personal development
- Bupa Health Insurance and Dental Insurance plan
- Trusted Giving scheme - employee volunteering via Onhand and employee giving via Tyve
- Virtual yoga and meditations sessions
- SimplyHealth healthcare cash plan
- Brighton Bikeshare
- Recruitment Referral Bonus
- Access to Spaces Locations across the globe
If you're ready to join us on our mission to become the most loved pet travel solution, we'd love to hear from you.
If you have a medical condition or an individual need for an adjustment to our process, and you believe this may affect your ability to be at your best - please let us know so we can talk about how we can best support you and make any adjustments that may be needed.