Worldwide | June 15, 2023
Report as Closed
Company: Ascend Innovations
Salary: $86,615 - $96,239
Ascend Innovations is looking for a Backend Infrastructure Engineer to join our team and help us build products and solutions that enable community health organizations to better serve the most vulnerable populations. We work with clients ranging from addiction recovery boards to hospice organizations to align data and technology with the design of effective programs, services, and interventions. The Backend Infrastructure Engineer leads and guides all backend-centric engineering projects, including server-side APIs, secure data pipelines, relational databases, and Amazon Web Services (AWS) infrastructure. This engineering position will work within a small team of talented engineers, interfacing with product/project managers, front-end engineers, and user experience teammates to drive final solution delivery. The Backend Infrastructure Engineer will also collaborate cross-functionally with the data science team on data engineering tasks to manage existing data pipelines and oversee the creation of new ones.
Ascend Innovations is a community health technology company that provides data-driven products and consulting services to help organizations solve problems within the most complex populations, including Behavioral Health. We desire to empower all communities to improve health and wellness with human-centered technology. Owned by the three hospital networks in Dayton, Ascend is uniquely positioned to build solutions around mental health and addiction, chronic disease, social determinants of health, and other core focus areas related to community health.
❤ What We Value
Our team culture is rooted in the values of drive, perseverance, trust, accountability, and community. A great fit for our company will exhibit these characteristics in action on a daily basis.
- We aspire to be better
- We grow through challenge
- We are open and honest
- We have each other's back
- We are better together
- Flexible Time Off
- 3 months fully paid parental leave
- Work Remotely or Hybrid
Who You Are
- 3+ years of overall experience in software engineering
- 3+ years of experience with Python
- Django and Django Rest Framework is a plus
- 2+ years of experience with AWS services, including Lamba, SQS, RDS, S3, Secrets Manager, Organizations, IAM Identity Center, and Control Tower
- Experience with using Serverless Framework to deploy lambda functions is a plus
- 1+ years experience with container technologies such as Docker
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code solutions such as Terraform
- Experience with Linux system administration
- Experience managing relational databases such as PostgreSQL
- Experience interfacing with frontend engineers to build backend data systems and APIs
- Experience interfacing with data scientists, analysts, and engineers to build data pipelines and storage
- Experience implementing GitHub Actions or other CI/CD pipelines
- Experience with data security is a plus
- Experience with Node.js/Express.js is a plus
- Experience interfacing with healthcare data is a plus, HL7 specifically
☀ As an Ascend Backend Infrastructure, on a given day you might:
- Oversees full lifecycle software development.
- Prepares specifications and determines operational feasibility.
- Writes well-designed, testable, efficient code.
- Takes ownership in defining and executing against the product roadmap.
- Works directly with UX design and data teams on product development initiatives.
- Oversees documenting and maintenance of software functionality.
- Maintains source code in a source control system (git).
- Debugs, troubleshoots, and resolves software bugs.
- Provides architecture guidance and support to technical leads.
- Works with the Product and Project Manager to manage timelines and prioritization.
- Research new technologies and develop proofs of concept.
- Ensures compliance with project plans and industry standards.
- Contributes to the proposal planning process for new business in terms of estimating engineering hours and cost for backend-related tasks.
- Supports in requirements gathering, discovery, or strategic consulting scenarios where backend-related tasks are present.
What Our Engineering Team Values
Our engineering team values curiosity, creativity, simplicity, and craftsmanship
- We desire to continuously learn, explore, and experiment
- We believe that software engineering is a creative pursuit
- We believe even complex things can be simple and elegant
- We desire to craft high-quality applications with care and attention to detail
Where You'll Be
- We are a distributed workforce enabling our teammates to find a work mode that is best for them!
- We offer flexible fully remote, hybrid, or in-office working arrangements.
- Our primary office is in Dayton , Ohio (EST Timezone), but we also have a presence in Columbus, Ohio.
- For the time being we ask that all employees be located within the United States
✨ Benefits Highlight
- Competitive salary
- Inclusive healthcare package (medical, dental, & vision)
- 85% coverage of medical premiums
- 100% coverage of dental premiums
- 50% coverage of vision premiums
- Automatic 4% 401K employer contribution
- Health Savings Account with employer upfront bonus and match
- Flexible working style
- in-office, hybrid, or 100% remote, with teammates located throughout the US